Artists, musicians, writers, actors, designers… I know all you’ve ever heard is how impossible it is to make money with your art. Modern society has brainwashed us so effectively that we think there is no money to be made from our talent – we even imagine all kinds of evidence that very few creative, visual and performing Artists are able to make a living from their art. We believe fully in the myth of the starving artist. As a result, our collective insecurities perpetuate this myth.
Newsflash: That starving artist mentality is soooo last century.
Big Break Mentality is where it’s at these days. It’s all in how you look at things. So, if your goal is to make a living from your talent, study instead the many existing examples of working Artists of all stripes who are feeding the family, paying the mortgage and putting the kids through school with their money making talents. I know these examples exist because many of them are my friends and clients!
However, if your main goal is to be a famous celebrity, that’s a whole different kettle of fish... and a discussion for another day. For now, let’s talk about making a living with your talent.
I’m about to give you the secret formula. You ready? Better sit down for this, it’s pretty profundo.
Treat your talent like a business
· Develop your brand identity
· Get an agent -- or at least ACT like you have one
· Invest in simple business cards, head shots, an internet presence, a working bio and/or elevator pitch
Make your art and your art business (#artbiz) your top priorities
· If it doesn’t serve your art and/or #artbiz in some way, let it go
· If it DOES serve your art and/or #artbiz in some way, respect it, cultivate it, nurture it, protect it
· Find a custom mix of side work that finances your #artbiz while feeding your creative mind
Promote yourself. ALL. THE. TIME.
· On social media -- as many profiles as you can juggle, no more, no less
· At online and offline networking events, every week
· At your side jobs, hobbies, family reunions… always be marketing!
None of these secrets work without the key ingredient: Authenticity.
· Always be yourself
· Always strive to be your highest, best self
· Let this attitude (what I call #artitude) shine through in your marketing
Take this secret formula and run with it! Go make some money!
Still feeling like business is a foreign language? Contact me for an #artbiz language tutoring session and book your complimentary appointment with me today.
© 2014 Pamela C Wills, Int’l
Revolution Ringleader Pamela teaches multi-talented Artists from around the globe to make your art your business and make your talent your wealth. First claim your #artitude, then take over the 9 to 5, then rule the world! Get your FREE gift at www.pamelacwills.com and get rolling today!