The idea of things holding me back is on my mind this week. Holding back as in:
Sounds a lot like being shackled and stuck in a never-ending, inhibited, embarrassing comfort zone, doesn't it?...
Unfortunately, most of us end up in this beige waiting place of clog, cramp and fetter every once in awhile. (You know I'm right.)
Sometimes we know we are holding ourselves back. Sometimes we blame it on others, on situations or circumstances.
Most of the time, with a little effort, we really can push through the obstructions. All it takes is a little awareness and a little... wait for it... courage. =)
Here are five of the major culprits that take any and every opportunity to hog-tie and hobble us (and some tips on how to escape them like Houdini):
1) The Self Critic Spend time judging and criticizing your Self and I guarantee you will never get anywhere. If you want to stay stuck, complain about everyone judging you all the time and keep on judging your Self. However, if you want to move forward, put your AutoCritic on MUTE. And move it!
2) The Dream Doubter If you don't believe in your own dreams, who the heck will?? Go ahead -- keep telling your Self that you'll never make it as a musician or an artist or an actor. Guess what will happen? You will end up being right.
3) The Passenger If you don't take the driver's seat and keep your hands on the wheel, you are just going along for the ride. It's easy to let someone else take charge of your life. But what happens when you want to take it back?? If you hand over the keys, you also give up making decisions on the route and destination. Demand your keys back. Today!
4) The Trash Can Ever notice how Negative Nellies, Debbie Downers and Drea Drama Queens tend to dump their crappy stuff on people all the time? Guess what that makes us?... Yep, the Trash Can. Don't put up with it another minute! Respect your Self and tell your dumper to dump somewhere else. Say goodbye if they won't, or tune them out if you can't. You will be much better off in the long run.
5) The Pessimistic Procrastinator When you spend your time thinking about why you're not good enough, not smart enough, not fast enough, not whatever enough, it's easy to tell your Self that there's no point in doing anything ambitious. If you want to get things done, why not be nice to your Self? Why not give your Self a little credit for being enough? Don't waste time thinking about the negatives. It takes just as much energy to spin them positively instead. Thoughts become things, you've heard that, right? Why not choose good things?
Bonus: The Excuse Maker Making excuses never made anyone a millionaire. Make excuses for staying stuck if you want to stay stuck. But, if you want to move ahead, ditch the excuses and start looking for ways to JUST DO IT.
I KNOW you can!