Are you feeling stuck, blocked, helpless and hopeless? Does your life currently resemble a stale old piece of white toast, recently dunked in weak tea? Have you been swallowing your feelings, holding your tongue, telling your Self you're fine? If so, you are probably resisting what could be the best thing that ever happened to you: Change. That's right, you heard me. Big fat scary old CHANGE.
I've said this before but it bears repeating: Resisting change, clinging to your well worn comfort zone and fearing the unknown will keep you just right exactly WHERE YOU ARE. Right now. Right in the waiting place. Wasting your gifts, wasting your time, wasting your life. Why waste another moment like that, settling for less?? You have power inside you that you have not even dreamed of yet! We ALL do.
The trick is finding the key to unlock the door that's blocking your power. So let's look at a few key questions that might just unlock YOUR blocked door of resistance.
1) What or who did you want to be when you grew up? This may seem silly or trivial, but those early passions are good indicators for what makes you tick. Whatever your passion was as a kid or preteen, it could very well hold the key to finding your bliss now.
2) What do you REALLY want to do / have / be now? Stop and think about this question for a moment. Do you even know? If you don't have a single clue on how to answer this one, go back to #1. Remember how you felt when you were fully engaged in that thing you used to love doing. Is that how you want to feel now? If so, that might just be your answer. If not, dig deeper. You know there was something, long before it was teased or shamed out of you, that you loved to do.
3) Why aren't you that person yet or doing / having / being that yet? Is fear holding you back? Fear of what? Change? Failure? Success?? Or is it complacency, the lure of the comfort zone? Think about it. Figure it out. If your fear of entering a new relationship is holding you back from losing weight, how can you lose that weight if you don't deal with and dismantle that fear? Am I right?? You know I'm right.
4) What is holding you back from becoming that person? I know, I know. It's the economy, stupid. Right?? Or maybe it's lack of cash. Or it's your responsibilities at home, cooking and cleaning and taking care of the kids. Or it's your boss and his overwhelming demands. Maybe it's your mom, depending on you in her widowhood and/or advanced age. There are so many distractions!
5) Let me rephrase #4: WHY are YOU holding your SELF back from becoming that person? Uh huh. Gotcha. Newsflash: YOU are the only one holding you back. No one else, nothing else. Hard to swallow but, it's like that. And that's the way it is.
6) What EXACTLY are you afraid of? Let's review #3, shall we? Dig deep and figure out what your fear is. How do you feel when you think about taking steps to become who and what you really want to be? Those feelings are valid but they are controlled by FEAR. And fear, my friends, is ALL.IN.YOUR.HEAD.
That's right. It's all in your imagination. Fear does NOT exist in the physical world. Don't believe me? Just think about it. When was the last time you saw "fear" on the menu? On the sidewalk? In the ocean? At a gas station? Thought not. No, fear is a feeling, that's all. A made up feeling at that. Based on smoke and mirrors.
Are you going to let your imagination control your entire life??
7) What is the worst thing that could happen if you took that step? I'm asking you to jump right into the pool of your fear and feel the feelings you think you'd feel if the worst possible thing happened after you took that leap to BE what you want and DO what you want and HAVE what you want. You with me? Good. Now just imagine that worst possible thing happening.
Are you still alive afterwards? I'm guessing yes.
8) What is the best possible outcome for taking that step? Okay, so now let's imagine the opposite of #7. What's the best result you can think of? Will you amass a huge fortune? Meet the partner of your dreams? Live by the sea in a home all your own, filled with peace and tranquility? Find work that feels like play and gives you a steady income? Melt off the pounds you've been carrying as a security blanket for the past few years?
It is ALL possible.
YOU are the only thing standing in your way, holding up all kinds of external noises as the bad guys. Sorry but you're IT. YOU are your only adversary. All you have to do is turn the key.