I used to think that happy people were weird. Seriously! I thought there was something wrong with them, that they must be fake and superficial and even a little bit dumb. Yep, I was a hater, peeps. A true Kafka reading, Cure listening, no smiles kind of gal. Hard to believe, right??
Well, I've figured a few things out since then. Like smiling is good for me. And laughing is like an instant internal massage. And happy people aren't weird or stupid, we're just...happy! Oh and best of all, I am now one of them!
So now that I've accepted that fact and sent it out into the world, I can go ahead and allow my Self to feel good and be happy whenever and as often as I like. Pretty cool, right??
Psst...Newsflash: SO CAN YOU.
Right here, right now, as you are mapping out your 2013 with fresh goals and fresh resolutions, think about this: How do you want to FEEL? I'm thinking "GOOD" is probably going to be the most popular answer to that question. So I've put together a short list of 8 tips for feeling good NOW:
1) Smile and laugh as often as possible. Do whatever you can to make that happen! Watch comedy on TV or at the movies. Play with your kids and/or pets. Start a tickle fest!!! Read the Sunday comics if all else fails. Laughter = internal massage. Instant feel good moment.
2) Say thank you when you receive a compliment. Don't pass it off, don't instantly turn it around, don't swat it away like a fly. Absorb it. Feel it sink into the part of you that was complimented. Feel its truth. Accept it. Believe it! Now, say thank you. Didn't that feel GOOD??
3) Keep a Gratitude Journal and/or a Success Journal. Write about your achievements and blessings daily. You can also write on slips of paper and keep them in a jar or a box instead. Go back and read them whenever you hit a wall. There is nothing quite like written proof that you are awesome for lifting your spirits!
4) Connect with a good friend. You all know that friendship keeps us not just sane but ALIVE, right?? Right. So pick up the phone, get on your chat line, start texting, meet for coffee or drinkies TODAY. Our friends are GOLD. Knowing we are valued and understood by our closest friends and demonstrating the same for them is one of the best feel good tonics on the planet.
5) Practice a little Self care. Take a hot bubble bath and use the fancy soap. Get or give your Self a pampering mani and/or pedi. Build time to exercise into your daily schedule and move your body regularly. Eat clean, nutritious food -- nurture your body with healthy yummy stuff that fuels your muscles and your brain. And ladies, do your Self a favor -- put on a little lipstick before you head out the door. It's amazing how it can brighten your face and your mood!
6) Hug someone! Your partner, your parent, your kid, your pet or even your Self! We all need love and the healing power of touch, every day. Hugs are often welcomed and appropriate, especially among relatives and friends. Your Dad doesn't like to hug? Are you sure? Try it and see, you might be surprised!
7) Listen to your favorite music. Music makes the world go round! Listening to your favorite songs counts as one of the most popular ways to boost your mood. Whether your feel good music is techno, pop, rock, punk, classical, reggae, hiphop or Gregorian chant (yeah, you heard me right), get it spinning and get your smile on! Check my "Be Your Self" playlist from April 2012 for some of my own suggestions.
8) Visualize your dreams. Since I'm a word person and visualization doesn't happen easily for me, I've been making vision boards ever since I was a kid. I love choosing words, phrases and images from magazines, cutting them out and using them to design my pieces. I choose a theme or an idea and then start gluing, placing my biggest word or idea first and then adding as I feel like it. This process takes care of two things for me: 1) it gets my creative juices going and 2) it helps me to solidify my goals. Bonus: I get to look at my finished piece as often as I want and be reminded of the dreams that spurred me to create it. Playful manifestation!
Here's one more bonus (Rated A for ADULTS...): Have sex! Grab your mate or your fave toy and enjoy your Self! Empty your mind of the mundane, release your inhibitions and just have some fun. BTW, it's okay to laugh in bed. That way, you get simultaneous internal AND external massage! ;)
Now go and Get Your Sizzle On!™