You KNOW you have to get unstuck, allow your Self to grow, push through the icky stuff and just get moving. But the $64,000 question is always, HOW?? I know, right??
Well, guess what peeps, I am here to tell you to just DO it already!
You heard me. It’s time to stop talking and start walking. Here are six steps to help with the HOW part:
1) What is it? If you’re stuck, something heavy must have wrapped a chain around you. What’s making you feel immobile? Why haven’t you taken action? Are you afraid of something? What is keeping you from taking that first step forward? Figuring out what it is will make the next step easier.
2) Is it good for you? Once you figure out what's holding you back, ask your Self whether that thing is really doing you any good. For example, if you want to quit smoking so you can run a marathon (because running a marathon is on your Bucket List) but can't seem to do it, ask your Self whether smoking that cigarette (or cigar…) really helps you to reach that goal. Your answer will help you move on to the next step.
3) Make a decision Once you have the answer to #2, it is time to make a decision. You can do this! Give up that old habit that no longer serves you OR your goal. Then forget about it and focus on something else. Drink water. Take a walk. Chew gum. Take a bath. Chop wood! Whatever — the important thing is to replace the old not so good anymore thing with a new improved exciting helpful thing. Once you cross that bridge, making the leap to #4 will seem easier.
4) Focus on new stuff Start focusing on what you want, what’s important and what can make your life better. Want to run a marathon? Well, if you’ve passed GO on #3 and let go of the smoking habit to focus on… hmmm… maybe gum chewing? Then you’re probably ready to start training for that marathon. Focus on training for that marathon. Put all of your extra energy into training for that marathon. Start walking your talk!
5) Create an action plan Dust off your New Year's resolutions and come up with a plan of action to achieve the best version of you. Sticking with the Bucket List marathon example, you need a training plan. Go! Get yourself a plan, a trainer, a coach to help you become a marathon runner. Pick a date. Pick a marathon. Start today! Then move on to Step #6.
6) Live in the now We hear this all the time, but practicing it for real takes some real effort. Don’t let those negative chatterboxes in your head derail your efforts. Whenever you feel yourself scrambling out on a limb with an anxiety producing line of thought, clamp down on your attention and bring it back to whatever task is at hand. So what if you don’t run 26 miles the first day you train for that marathon! You are training for it RIGHT NOW. Working on it RIGHT NOW. Boom, end of drama. Now is the only time and place there is. Be thankful for it all.